Annulment Lawyer Minneapolis, MN
While marriage is a commitment to someone for life, almost half of all marriages end in divorce. Another option, other than divorce, may be an annulment. While annulments in Minnesota are rare, they are still an option. Contact the legal team at Hennek Klaenhammer Law, PLLC as we offer our legal services to residents in the Minneapolis, MN area and throughout the entire Twin Cities.
The experienced family law attorneys at Hennek Klaenhammer Law, PLLC located in Roseville, MN, can help you determine if this is the best course of action for you. We have over 50 years of combined experience in family law, including divorce, annulment and all other family law matters.
Our annulment attorneys can help you decide if an annulment is the right choice for you if you meet the following criteria:
- One of the parties was incapacitated or under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or any other intoxicating substance at the time of the marriage ceremony;
- One of the parties involved was married to someone else at the time of the marriage;
- One of the parties was underage, at the time of marriage. (In Minnesota, the legal age for marriage is 18. However, persons aged between 16 and 17 can get married with the consent of their parents, a guardian, or the court);
- One of the parties is incapable of having sexual relations, and the other party was not aware of this at the time of the marriage ceremony;
- One of the parties suffers from mental illness or mental incapacitation, and the other party was not aware of this at the time of the marriage ceremony;
- One of the parties was coerced into the marriage; or
- Consent to the marriage was obtained by fraud or under duress
Annulment Versus Divorce Proceedings
Proving that the circumstances listed above have taken place usually requires both parties to agree. If there is no agreement, the burden of proof to establish the legal basis for the annulment is on the person that is requesting the annulment. When you have your marriage annulled, the marriage becomes void. Often times, however, this option may not be the way you want to end a relationship, even a rocky one. Thus ,divorce may be your better option. Let our Minneapolis divorce and annulment attorneys help determine the right path for you and your spouse.
Annulment may seem like a simple solution, but this is a common misconception. While in some instances an annulment can be easier on both parties, it is not necessarily cheaper, simpler, or quicker than obtaining a divorce. Like all cases, it all depends on your individual situation. Thus, having proper legal representation is key. Our experience annulment lawyers can assist you with this complicated procedure and to help you decide if annulment is a better option for you.
Please call Hennek Klaenhammer Law, PLLC today at 651-633-4400 to discuss these issues or any other questions. We listen carefully to your concerns, promptly return your calls, minimize attorney fees, and process your case efficiently and effectively.